Monday, 23 March 2015

Refelction on high school...and why we must keep looking ahead

In 1999, the very year that the MDC was formed, I started my first
year of high school at Kutama College. Though Acknowledged for
academic excellence, Kutama College was my second choice after St.
Ignatius Chishawasha probably because I knew so many people who had
been there before.

It was when I received an acceptance letter (then we didn't have so
much ICT staff) from Kutama College, that my grandfather told me he
had attained his teaching certificate at the mission back in the
1930s. That moment, I felt like I was part of some bigger plan. I
felt as if my grandfather was passing on the button (not to be a
teacher though).

For the next 6 years (pretty much my teenagehood) I was toiling around
the school classrooms and library believing I was part of a bigger
plan. It's 10 years now since I stepped foot on the mission and I am
sure almost everything has changed over the last decade but somehow I
still fill attached to the place.

I do not know whether I got it from Kutama or the school made it
manifest and nurtured it but I am sure that had I not met academic
giants like the schoolmates I had and had I not felt challenged by the
school's legacy and had I not felt pushed to carry on with what my
grandfather started, I wouldn't be feeling the burning urge to
continuously improve.

It's the urge for continuous improvement that keeps any generation of
any nation moving forward. Although we may not achieve success in the
form and manner we wanted, in our quest to do better at whatever we
do, we are guaranteed of breakthroughs and though we may not become
Bill Gates or Strive Masiyiwa, although we may not become geniuses to
the degree of Albert Einstein or Edison Zvobgo, even if we don't
become thought leaders, when we do our best, we leave a mark on this
earth.

"...now and forever, tis Kutama, Kutama leading to victory!"


Ittai Bryan
(writes in his own capacity as a former student of Kutama College)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow by Email