Today we celebrate the girl child amidst revelations that sexual
assaults, gendercide, genital mutilation and general gender bias
against girls is on the increase.
In Zimbabwe alone, the girl child is being subjected to horrific
experiences as poverty and HIV ravages the nation.
1. Girls are forced into marriages by parents and guardians as a way
of dealing with poverty;
2. Girls are taking to prostitution to survive the tough economic times;
3. Girls are taken as maids & helpers (child labour) and employed
under harsh working conditions sometimes for very little pay;
4. Girls are being denied their rights to education as most parents
cant pay the fees;
5. Girls as young as 12 die in labour (maternal mortality) due to:
(a) early pregnancies,
(b) poor health service delivery or lack of access to health services,
(c) poor diet resulting in poor health,
(d) illegal abortions, S.T.Is, HIV & opportunistic infections.
The girl child bears the brunt of the corruption and rottenness of our society.
She is most affected by the poverty and lack due to an underperforming economy.
Spare a thought for the girl child in Zimbabwe.
For the good of the Republic!